Saturday, March 29, 2008

Heart of Worship

This coming Sunday would be the fifth and last time that I will be starting the morning worship. Truth to be told, I was not very keen on starting the morning worship, though it had to be said that I was only asked to do it one month for the whole year. Now, I have always struggled with this even more than the pulpit duties. I have often given excuses, though valid, but are only excuses nonetheless. God knows and I know the stumbling block behind that resistance. Often I have managed to get William or Kar Wai to step in for me (Thanks guys) and finally for this month, had decided to confront that stumbling block.

And what a ‘confrontation’ that was, for me. Here, again, huge thank you to Shireen, Bernice, Andrew and Clarence for taking the time, effort and patience to help me out here. You see, people, for this past few Saturdays, they at my request have came out and practice for the following Sunday morning worship, at least for the songs that I have chosen. Bernice was not feeling too chirpy one Sunday morning and yet still sang back up (more like I am backing her up for those who know my musical talent) for me. So guys and gals, thanks for the input, patience and going along with me on this journey of self discovery. I hoped that you too have learned and discovered more about what worship is to you. And if there is any offence or discouragements, am deeply sorry.

For you out there, you might be asking what’s the big deal? You see, in Elim, at least during Sunday morning worship, I have always felt that we aren’t giving our best. We are not bringing our best offering to the altar of God. From the way we begin our worship, the way we sing, the way we share and even the clothes that we wear, shows in my opinion our attitude towards God in the area of worship. True, God looks right into our hearts and not on the exterior; and I have used that same reasoning many times but I wondered what God really saw when He looked into my heart. Seldom does any fruit looks tarnished on the outside yet is juicy and good on the inside. So, I decided to give my best for this month’s worship. Yup folks, what you are getting every Sunday morning is my best, if you think that it could be better, then you ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. It can be better, much better. We have in our church, people who are much more gifted in this area than me, and boy can you imagine what worship would be like if they would allow God to use them in this area. The funny thing is as I opened myself to the Lord, the theme of the morning worship just flows as well as the songs that I picked. I usually have those songs in mind on Sunday, that is the Sunday before which in itself is a miracle for those of you who know my procrastination habit.

Here then is the list of the theme and songs selected for this past month worship:
  • This month’s worship began with the reminder that we need to bring our best to the altar. God despises offerings that are not perfect and yet we often do not offer our ‘first fruits’. (Songs: Heart of Worship and I will offer up my life)
  • We were reminded that we often grumble about the things that we do not have but failed to give thanks to God for the things that we do have. (Songs: Great is the Lord and I stand in awe of You)
  • We were reminded that God is the one that blesses, gives and saves. All glory and honour belongs to Him. ( Songs: All we like sheep and Salvation Belongs to Our God)
  • We were reminded that the God that we worship is the Living God. Our God is the reigning King and the Lord of Lords. (Songs: Come on and Celebrate, He’s Alive and Because He Lives)

And for this coming Sunday, after going through the past few Sundays’ ‘reminders’, what then would be our respond to God. After being reminded that we need to give our best and in spite of what we have given, God still blessed us with much and God is the one that saves and blesses and what more; our God is the ever living God. What would our respond be? What would your response to God be? (Songs: I bow my knee, I will offer up my life and I simply live for you) Come join me, join us in worshipping God this coming Sunday.


“…You search much deeper within, through the way things appear, You’re looking into my heart” ~ Heart of Worship

Katan

No comments: