Wednesday, August 13, 2008

White and Black Lies...Have you lied?

Last Saturday, the EY had a very interesting topic, 'White and Black Lies'. Basically we dealt with the issue of lying and our interpretation of what lying was. We are basically challenged to view lying as well, lying irrespective of our intentions and circumstances. For example, in the midst of joking and teasing with one another, we sometimes 'lie'. One might argue that it was a harmless, joking fun that nobody takes it seriously and everybody knows that it is a lie. Like say, if I were to say that I can't sing when if fact I can, it was done for fun (or some people might say that I can't sing but say that I can). But if we were judge that joke, strictly speaking, jokingly or not, it was a lie and should be view as such.

By God's standards then we would have lie. We cannot based our values on human interpretation and judge those actions as acceptable in human terms. In God terms, well then we would have had sinned. Some of us would say why so serious or picky. Well if we don't draw the line then sooner or later we will find that we are no longer God's representative in this world, no longer the light and salt of the earth.

At the end of the session, we made a pact with one another to not lie and to mark down every lie that we had told, at least for this week. Well my own commitment to that promise saw myself incurring a lie on that very same day!!! We often joke and tease and unconciously lie. The next day, joking with Henry again saw me chalking up another two. Haiz... Then later in the week, I was asked a question by my mother and I evaded the question by pretending to not know the answer which I do know...another lie. I guess we are so used to lying that we didn't realised that we are doing it unconciously. Haiz...For me, I am taking this seriously and will must definitely curb and by God's grace cut out all the lying...white, black, grey lies... I am at four lies as of to date. How about you?

Katan

PS: Do leave comment or at the shout out on how many lies that you have told...let's check each other...

No comments: