Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Have you ever..

...mentioned your parents' contribution in your successes?

Recently, I have had opportunities to be praised by people I met. Random people I talked to said "I'm good at talking", "I know how to carry myself", "I'm rather open minded", "I'm smart" and those sweet nothings. Well, not exactly sweet nothings lah..they are more of like, sweet somethings.

So, I reacted politely by saying "Thank you". I didn't even try to feign humility by saying "Oh it's nothing much" or other similar phrases. Just "Thank you".

And after that, I thought I should tone down my confidence by forwarding some of those praises to the education that I get in MGS, or the teachers who taught me back in secondary school, or my education in Canada. Or my existing crowd of friends.

I just realized that I was very quick to thank everyone around me, except my parents.

Yes, the education I am getting is top-notched, my secondary schooling years were fun filled with friends who were quirky and interesting. Each of these formed the virtues I still hold in life. But hey, my parents play great parts as well. They thought me dignity and respect, humility and gentleness, patience and forgiveness. And many other lessons of life, to be cliche.

So my current goal is to mention my parents when people talk about my "goodness". Because they deserve their due respect.

This is somewhat a weird post. Do let me know your thoughts. :)

No comments: