Monday, January 28, 2008

What's in a Name?

In my tuition classes as well as the EY, I have always encouraged the people to call me by my name. My GIVEN name, given by my parents of course and not the ones bestowed by our well loved 'Uncle W'. Somehow I am not comfortable with names that I felt that I am underserving. Case in point is the tuition classes. The students called me 'teacher'. I literally had goosebumps. I don't know about them, but I was uncomfortable. I have continued to encourage them to call me by my name. Even in the EY, I have also asked them to call me by name as well, none of this 'uncle' stuff. Makes me feel so old, jaded or worse ancient. I could be in denial, but heck if I am old enough to be called an uncle then I could also be old enough to have my 'eccentricities' (my quirks). So in a weird way, they called me by name and my wife, an auntie. DIDN'T see that coming. Married to an auntie is also not so good for my fragile image of a young chap either. Sigh...what's in a name.

A funny thing happened today during the frisbee game, didn't know if any of you fellas picked it up. 'A' threw a pass to 'B' and at the same time yelled or rather called out to 'B' which is kinda normal except 'A' called out 'darling'. Which I thought was quite lucky for 'A' that he completed the pass accurately. Can you imagine if the aim was off or the pass was intercepted, boy, he would then have quite some explanation to do. Who is 'A'? Well, for those who played, they would know, wouldn't be good of me to tell :) ...

Katan

PS: Doc, you could do mushy just fine..;)

3 comments:

Steven Chang said...

A = Dr. Eric Yeoh

jenneh said...

hahahahaHAHAHAHA. i think i know who... :P

funny-nye...

Anonymous said...

so..we should either upgrade you to "uncle" or let wan li be "wan li" instead of "auntie".. haha.. wat do u tink??