Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Mustard Seed


Matthew 17:20 "You don't have enough faith," Jesus told them. "I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it would move. Nothing would be impossible."

Well, its been a while since I have posted anything up on the blog. Guess, its time to get my fingers cracking and brain juices working (what little that is left...). Lately I have been reminded on the issue of faith...

Faith, something which, well depending on who or what you are reading, is an essential part or ingredient of the Christian life. Christian life, began with faith. Faith to believe in Jesus Christ. With faith, our Christian life will grow and mature; thus without faith, well we are pretty much stuck as an infant in terms of our Christian growth and maturity. Something so important in our Christian life, one would assume that we should have loads, well maybe not loads but at the very least bucketful of this faith stuff; seeing how God has blessed and guided us through the years. Yet, yet...the Lord says, 'If we have faith as small as a mustard seed...'

What's that? Faith as small as a mustard seed? Seriously? I won't dare to contradict God in this issue but before we attribute that particular comments to our younger (at least in our Christian maturity) brethren (brethren also refers to the sisters, have to make this sound kinda mature...), let's check the size of our (and since this is my article), my faith...

Examples, examples...is the way to go!!! As is in any mathematical formulas, examples is the way to illustrate the point. So let me use the example of the upcoming youth camp. When BSGC threw this 'bone' to us (EYs) to handle the camp during the last year camp, the first thought in my mind was...no way!!! Not because we don't have the man power, not because we can't find the people to plan and run this, but its rather my own fears. Seeing how every year, the BSGC had to 'work' to get people to join the camp, I don't think we are able to do it. I don't think God will blessed us with the numbers. I believe God can, I have the faith that if God choose to, we can draw in crowds bigger than the total enrolment of NS. It is just that I don't think God will. (Evaluation: Faith size...hmmm....undefined...yet)

At the begining of this year, we were fresh from organising a Prom Night with the EAOG youths and the committee were doing their 'post mortem' review. They were also thinking of what to run next... and I thought, well why don't we run the youth camp together. Thinking back, I guess the idea was to get as many people on board as possible so that we can share the burden and not worry about the numbers and stuff. I did not really think that they will be game to run a youth camp together...but they did. I dragged my feet in finding camp sites and speaker, they pushed, chased and bugged me all the way...I gave excuses like the SPM time table problems, price of the camp sites, logistics, etc. Even at the end when the SPM time table was changed, I was even tempted to postponed or even call off the youth camp. I still have my doubts over this camp issue and whether God will bless. I see mountains...(Evaluation: Faith size...hmmm clearer...still not sure about the size...for sure not much bigger than a mustard seed)

Well, we have committed to the camp. We booked 110 places and I was quite worried over the numbers that we are going to get. The intial numbers were rising slowly...very slowly...The mountains that I saw were getting bigger, making me realised how small I am. The problems associated with camp seem huge in comparison to my God. The final count for the camp was about 80 people. Did not meet the 110 and yet not a small number either. Throughout the planning I noticed the following:
  1. Was worried over the finances, Camp fees of 180 foe 4 days 3 nights inclusive of transport and a t-shirt was way above budget. We actually needed to top up the money. Funds came in from..well, unexpected places that enable us to not quite cover the camp, but not as bad as I feared.
  2. The youths working together in doing the camp logistics, the practices, the committee meetings, and not only the 'old' hands in the youth but the 'new' ones were chipping in. Doing their part. Best of the pick in this is the realisation that the youths had that they also needed to pray. (Lesson learned here...thank you...)
  3. The people that signed up consist more of outsiders than our own people. We have a good mix of the older youths to help out in the groups. A concern in the begining...
One by one, my concerns was meet and addressed by God. Not only addressed but given more than I asked. So, if I was to evaluate the size of my faith. I can safely say, my faith is bigger than a mustard seed. I have bucketfuls of this faith stuff, it is just that my God cannot move the mountains. I believe in God, have much faith in Him, but I don't quite believe the He can do much. It was not the size of my faith that is the problem but rather the size of my God that iIput my faith in. I needed to see God for the God that He is. The Alpha and Omega, the Almighty God!!! For that I need to make a choice, a decision to take God out of the small tiny box that I have placed Him in and put Him where he belongs. The God that made the heavens and the earth...

Let's go for the camp!!!

Amen

Katan

No comments: